Hi, I’m Tom Dixon-Smith and this is my story!
This year I will be competing in the surfing World Qualifying Series. This is a series of international events, none of which are held in New Zealand, so in order to achieve my goals, I have to travel and compete internationally. I would like to compete in these events, however, it is dependent on the financial support that I am trying to obtain. The funds I am hoping to raise will assist me with costs associated with equipment, entry fees, travel, accommodation and coaching.
Any support you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
This year, 2018, is my first full year where I embark on my career as a full time professional surfer and my first event takes place in Indonesia, in April.
I caught my very first wave at the age of 4 and from then on, it became my passion and my dream!
At the age of 9, I entered the New Zealand National Primary Schools event which was my very first surfing competition.
Now, 9 years on, I haven’t lost the passion, drive or desire to succeed. I have become more focused and more determined than ever before and am very excited about the year ahead!
2013 and 2014 – Gisborne Boys High Surfer of the Year Award
2014 – Semi finals (5th place) New Zealand Secondary Schools National Championships
2015 – 3rd place, New Zealand Secondary Schools National Championships
2015 – School Colours Award for Regional Representation
2015 – Silver Medal National Scholastics Competition
- To finish the 2018 World Qualifying Series ranked in the top 350 professional athletes
(this will give me the ranking needed to get into the higher rated events in 2019)
- To compete in at least 9 events by the end of 2018
(this goal is entirely financially dependent)
- To be competing in the top-rated, World Qualifying Series events by the end of two full years as a professional athlete – by the end of 2019
- To compete on the prestigious World Championship Tour within 5 – 7 years (It is my dream to compete for a World Title)
- Part of the strategy for 2018 has already been in play. For the last two years, I have been training in the Mentawai Islands while working (unpaid) as a surf guide, and completing schooling
- Between competing in events, I will continue to work as a surf guide, while training for the next event
- Initially I will compete in 9 events, but ideally, I will strive to compete in 14 events during 2018