Hi, I am Damian Torwick, I am 17 and have a dream to become the best canoe slalom paddler in the world and I fully believe – I will be the best. The Junior World Championships is just the beginning in my journey to the top. Canoe slalom is a passion and it would be absolutely incredible to be able to paddle and train with less worry about the financial struggle of the sport. I have been training hard both physically and psychologically, always doing extra so I can dedicate myself 110% to the dream.
I am incredibly grateful to be in this position and to represent NZ on the international stage. Last year I just missed out on this opportunity, which only resulted in an increased motivation and commitment to the sport, my passion. As a result, I fully committed myself to pursue this goal, in which I achieved. I know that this is just the beginning.
I have been paddling for 3 and a half years and have qualified for the second spot in the New Zealand U18 Canoe Slalom team to represent New Zealand in the Junior World Championships this year in Slovakia (Bratislava).
– 2017: Top junior K1M paddler, and fourth overall K1M paddler at the NZ Canoe Slalom Nationals.
– 2017: Qualified for the second spot in the Canoe Slalom NZ Junior Team (3 available spots).
– 2017: 3rd junior at the Oceania Championships (second New Zealand paddler).
– 2016: Top overall U16 paddler at the Canoe Slalom Secondary Schools, this includes K1, C1 and also top C2 team out of all age groups.
– 2016: Nominated for Bay of Plenty Team Sports Awards for C2.
– 2017 North Island Champs. 1st C1M, 2nd C2M, 3rd K1M.
– 2017 Bay of Plenty Champs. 1st K1M, 1st C2M, 3rd C1M.
Greater achievements are in the making!
I sincerely thank you for your support!