I only started this sport in 2014 and was very green! I have put heaps of effort into my fitness by being part of the school running squad and harriers. I’ve competed at school events and done ok at regional level. However I really wanted to be able to achieve at national level so my mum and I decided that I should focus on a sport that combined running and something else. So thats how I got into orienteering.
I have taken any opportunity that has been on offer over the last 24 months – racing up and down the country at events to get the practice in and it paid off last year when I got selected for the Junior NZSS team for the Australia event. I have again been fortunate to be selected for the NZ Senior team which I am so stoked about. Our school team also recently won the National champs and we have qualified to represent NZ schools at the World Champs in Italy 2017. Thats another $6-7000 expense which we have to save for.
I’m aiming to someday get into the NZJunior World team however need to keep my name out there and keep running in as many events as I can.
HIGHEST SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS
– 1st in New Zealand National Middle Distance Race 2016
– 2nd in the Australian Sprint Champs 2015 (the competition was between Australia and New Zealand)
– 3rd in National School Sprint 2016
– 2nd in North Island Schools Long Distance Race 2016
– Selected for the New Zealand Secondary Schools Junior Girls Team 2015
– Napier Girls High School selected to represent NZSS at World Schools Orienteering Champs 2017
– selected in the New Zealand Secondary Schools Senior Girls Team 2016
update: CAROLYNE HAS BEEN SELECTED TO REPRESENT NZ AT WORLD SCHOOLS IN ITALY!
Orienteering is self funded and it costs my mum a lot of money to support me in this sport. I have to travel a lot to ensure I get to participate in national events and also so I can get recognised at national level.
My mum works full time and I’m studying NCEA level 1 and 2 so I’m quite committed with my time. However I do try and fit some horticultural work in when I can to help with the costs of the sport.